Friday, September 3, 2010

Real Estate Common Courtesy / How My Momma Raised Me

One of the things I am proud of in my business is the response time I strive for. Two hours or less, and you'll hear back from me. Unless, of course, I've got my phones turned off for the evening. And, that I will do what I say I'm going to do. Sometimes, of course again, that takes longer than 2 hours, dependant upon the task at hand.

I received a phone call from a company looking for an agent to send referrals to. I get these all the time. But, they wanted to make certain that if they sent me a client, I would follow-up with them within 72 hours. 72 hours? Are you kidding me, I work with the 2 hours or less time frame.

Working with a new client last year showing property. My phone kept ringing while we were in my car. 'I don't like to interrupt my current client time with a phone call', I explained as to why I wasn't picking it up.  However, as I watched the clock move forward, I had to retrieve the messages and return the calls. New client completely understood, and other clients received the response time. All good.

Now, when I am on the other end of the response time? Frustration and wonderment of Common Courtesy kicks in....huge. I call agents, contractors, dental offices, all the time. I understand that we all get busy. But, we also have text messages and e-mail right at our fingertips. And, with the current Smart Phones, we have them right where we are, at all times, unless we have turned off our phones for the evening. I get the evening thing.

But, I don't get the lack of common courtesy. What happened to that? If the person I'm trying to reach is that busy, they need to hire some help. If they don't want to return the call, put a message on their voice mail that answers what we are calling about. If they can't get into a long conversation, send me a text. Goodness, when I call two times about your listing that my clients want to see? And, you don't call back to say it's not available (even though it is active in the MLS)? What kind of courtesy, let alone service, are they showing? None, the worst, zilch.

And certainly, not the way my momma raised me. I give credit to her regularly. She raised a good group of kids. And, the way she taught us to be courteous to others is the way I treat people I come in contact with. Call me, I'll call you back. Text me, I'll text you back. E-mail me, same thing. All in under two hours.

Unless, and one more of course, I've turned off my phones for the evening.

No comments: