Thursday, September 23, 2010

Complete The Purchase Agreement, Fill in all the Blanks

When we are writing an offer for a buyer on a prospective home, there are many pages to complete.

Back in the day, we did it all by hand. Hovering over the contract to make sure we didn't miss a single spot. Now it's all in cyberspace and computerized. Wonderful! I love it, I can write a contract from any computer, anywhere that has Internet access!

I still hover over every spot the cursor bounces to so that I don't miss anything. And, I go over the contract 2 to 3 times to check again.


And, fortunately it 'prints' in blue with a yellow background to make it easier. You'd think it was a no-brainer!

Many times however, when I am representing the seller, I see an incomplete offer or one with mistakes. Some spots are like a multiple choice, I get that. But, some are just missed, like they didn't go to a single 'Contract for Dummies' class. I bet some of you can spot the error in the above contract and you're not even a licensed Realtor!

But, my company, has regular brush-up sessions for our agents. New contract classes when there is a change. We are taught over and over again not to make a mistake.

Because if we do, that's just a lawsuit waiting to happen.  I read the below article this morning and it prompted my blog subject. It's a great article and makes me laugh. The author seems to have my personality and she's not even in California. Maybe I should contact her and make friends!


Remember to have your agent review the contract with you and look for missed or mistaken items.....it could save you a large headache later.

No comments: