Sunday, September 19, 2010

Open Houses - Should I or Shouldn't I?

When I first started in Real Estate I did Open Houses like there was no tomorrow. I did one almost every Sunday and probably about every third Saturday as well.  And, it paid off. Well, I sure think it did. I ended up meeting a lot of people, learned a lot about the tracks in Santa Clarita and made several extra sales that I could attribute to the Open Houses I had done.

Over the years, I've cut way back on hosting them. When I take a new listing, I like to do them for the introduction to the neighborhood. I want to get feedback and maybe find a neighbor that has a friend that is thinking about moving into the neighborhood. I'm pretty forthright with my seller, letting them know that an Open House is not the top way to get a home sold.

It does help with feedback on condition and price though. The general publics' opinion. I prefer pricing suggestions from my associates, and their visits without an offer written, tells me over-priced. And, I share all information with my clients, whether from public or professional.

I've noticed some of the 'big-dogs' doing open houses a lot more lately. I consider myself a 'little dog', FYI.  And, although I feel I'm working my tush off, I am considering getting back into the Open House mode. It's a lot of work, repetitive work, turn-around is good....if you make a connection.

You see, I'm not a pushy saleswoman. Never have been. I'm an honest, shoot from the hip, tell it like it is lady. If I meet someone and we make that connection while hosting, then I know we'll do business together and form a relationship.  If someone breezes through and won't look me in the eye, I don't even bother asking them to sign the register.

Challenge starts with the juggling of regular clients that want to see me on the weekend and spending 1/2 a Sunday doing an Open House. Well, maybe I'll just start with two a month.....for now......and see what kind of connections are made.

Hope to meet another seller that decides to list, and it's the perfect property for one of the buyers I couldn't go out with because I was hosting an Open House!!!!

No comments: