Friday, January 29, 2021

Thoughts on Redecorating &/Or Remodeling......Realtor Thoughts

I'm quite sure I've blogged about this before, but I found a beautiful photo on Instagram recently....truth be told, I find them every single day. I follow a lot of home decor pages, remodeling, interior design kind of thing. #RealtorLife 

I'm definitely partial to the rustic, farm, woodsy, bohemian style. It calls to me. But, I see that some of my friends like other home styles too. Minimalist, utilitarian, colorful, plain, there is something for everyone in home decor.

Years and years ago, I must have been about 25, I met a friend of my then mother-in-law who was an interior decorator. She told me the most important thing about decorating your home. And, I've never forgotten it.

Walls, floors, tile, fixed items? Those should be kept simple & basic, not bright and wild. Nothing that is so outlandish that you can't decorate around it when you, or the next owner, wants to change it up a bit. 

When doing staging for my listings, what I generally do is clear out and start over. But, the hardest ones to do are ones like this:


Why is that so hard you ask?

Because the person looking at your home to purchase may not be a fan of that turquoise counter to ceiling back-splash. Me? I think is is spectacular, soothing, absolutely beautiful. But, I'm betting there are a few of my peeps that do not find it attractive.

The cabinets, flooring, appliances, & shelves, those are simple and easy to decorate around. The back splash makes too much of a statement. It should have been left white, tan, beige, off white. Then, you could have put some pops of turquoise color on the counters, shelves, maybe paint the ceiling? Yes, paint is cheap and easy to change.

I've collected staging decor over the last 2 decades. Reds, Yellows, Grays, Turquoises. As the color choice of the day changes....you've heard of that Pantone color of the year, right?.....my staging decor changes as well. FYI, this year it is gray & yellow. 

And, that's the way you need to think when you are considering re-vamping your home. Make it the way you want it, yes, enjoy your home. But, keep in mind that you may grow tired of that turquoise wall and how much easier it would be to hang colored dish towels, colored pottery, art work, etc., than having to change out all that tile.

And, a lot less dinero too! 
Food for thought. 
I'm always happy to share my tidbits of knowledge.


No comments: