Friday, January 8, 2021

How Much Does The Right Marketing Really Matter?

100% it totally matters. Regardless of the market you are in, the way your Realtor 'sells' your home is vital.

Now, mind you, I totally love this story that I'm going to tell you. Totally love the property that I was hired to sell too.

A few months ago, some guy sends me a message to my Gmail account. I only check that a couple times a day, so I didn't even see it for several hours. One of his comments was that he wasn't married to his phone, so fortunately me not getting back immediately wasn't even noticed! He was referred by a dear friend/associate of mine.

He was struggling with another agent that had his parents home listed for sale. Said it was about to fall out of escrow. I researched the property, noted that it had been listed 5 times with 4 different agents already. Eeeeeck. It generally means the property is over priced, right? Well, to say the least it was crazy high priced in the beginning. But, the biggest take I got on the previous listings was truly the lack of appropriate photography, information, and marketing for the home.

It is unique. It is older. It has a lot of hills. And, yes, it has deer.

I told the Sellers they had to get their current listing agreement completely unwrapped before I could step in and 'take charge'. Oh, yeah, I took some charge all right. Very carefully, respectfully, and not in the least bit girly. LOL But, they wanted that. The family all met me, they took notes of my suggestions....3 pages if my memory is right. Yes, 3 pages of notes of what they needed to do to get the home ready for sale.

I brought 3 boxes of staging supplies out of my personal selection and used almost all of it for this home. Pillows, blankets, plates, flowers, pots, candles, a large picture, all kinds of color pops. Mostly inside, but a bit outside as well.

There were lists for the occupants of what needed to happen whenever we had a showing scheduled. It was followed to a T.

I paid an arm & a leg for the most exquisite photography. An arm & a leg I tell ya! I asked my guy to do shots from here, there, and everywhere. And, then, do them again at twilight. And, then do a movie of the house, the grounds, the hills, views, and the road that takes you to the property. 

I prepared a 1500 character (that's our MLS limit) description of what that property felt like. Yes, what it felt like. Not just 3 bedrooms, 3 baths kind of stuff. The vibe of the house and the acres. But, because 1500 characters just wasn't enough, I did an extra supplement in the MLS for things the sellers had told me about the property, stories they shared, building ways, things that just couldn't fit anywhere else but by providing this extra doc for a prospective buyer.

And, I noted in the showing remarks that the buyers should wear tennies so that I could take them on a personally guided tour of the property. Quite honestly, I felt if they weren't willing to do that, they probably were not the right buyers for this home.

My phone went crazy. Texts, calls, emails. All to view this home. Over several days I toured, I don't even remember how many, buyers with their agents.....about an hour for each visitor(s). Up the hill, over the ridge, pointing out the boundary markers, pointing out the ownership of what road, what tree. Pointing out water tanks, propane tanks, septic tanks, wells. Anything and everything so the buyer could completely get the same vibe I got when I was on that ridge.....and, it was a great vibe I got that I shared.

I handed out the list of 'Things to Know' that was in the supplements, a floor plan of the home itself, a plat map of the 3 parcels that made up the property. 

And, then, the offers came in. All were great. All were motivated. And, long story short, I protected the hell out of my clients with our Seller Multiple Counter offer and we closed escrow today.

What 4 other agents, couldn't do 5 different times....I did. I guided my clients, they followed my lead, we sold their home for the most amount of money in the shortest amount of time.


I think they are pretty darn happy with me. Wouldn't you be?

No comments: