Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Should I Sell Now? How About Buy? Should I?

Poor Realtors, we are always the one that people turn to if they want to know if now is the right time to buy or sell. Dependant upon the market, it can be an easy answer or a difficult one. I won't pretend and say this isn't a difficult market.

But, I will stand on that the time to buy or sell isn't just about how the market is doing. It's about how the client is doing. Their family, their job...their needs and wants.

Now is a great time to buy a bigger home, you can get a lot of house for a little bit of money. Time to buy a first time home? You bet! We haven't seen homes priced like this in quite some time. How about an investment property? I'd say so, but do your homework first. We have seen a lot of investors buying up property, a lot of homeowners displaced by foreclosure renting after losing their homes. Those renters will buy again in the future and the investment property may be vacant a bit, or certainly not getting what you were getting on a per month basis. But, maybe you need a tax write-off.

Selling now? Standard sales are the nicest to see on the market in this fall of 2010. (Temperatures Saying Otherwise) We get seller disclosures, we get to close escrow in a more timely manner. And, thankful for an appraiser, we don't pay more than the property is worth......unless we are willing to do so of course.

But, why are you selling now? Moving out of state? Go ahead and sell. Downsizing, sure. Want to buy bigger, go for it. Think the bottoms not yet here.....who the heck knows!

To the nuts and bolts of this post now......


No One Has A Crystal Ball....

I'd be retired if I did....how about you? We'd certainly do things different if we could read the future. But, where would the fun be in that? LOL.....well, might be a little bit of fun!

I've always felt that the time to buy or sell was very personal. Every person, or family, may have one reason or another that the time is right or wrong for them.

I love my home. I bought it almost 5 years ago for over 600k and now it's worth a little more than 1/2 of that. But, I still love my home. It works for my family and we're not going anywhere. So, now is not the time to sell for us. If my little crystal ball told me I was going to win the lottery......things would probably play out a smidgen differently.

For today, I keep my home.....for tomorrow, who knows. It's a personal choice for me and should be for you too.

No comments: