Friday, January 10, 2020

What Makes People Want to Move - In Other Words, Why Aren't More People Moving Already??

In 2002, my first year as a Realtor, my mentors told me people moved every 7-ish years. I thought that would be super as I'd be helping some of my favorite clients/friends/family moving pretty darn regularly.

That, quite honestly, did not happen to the majority of my peeps. And, if you've been following this blog or my WitzRealEstate channel on YouTube (Yes, here's the link for you to subscribe to My YouTube Channel) then you know most of my pals stay in their homes for what feels like forever!

At any rate, I've always felt that when the time is right, people will move. And, no one should be forced to move unless it suits their personal needs.

Several thoughts have wandered around for years about people buying, or not buying, homes for this or that reason. Rates were too high, family combined, the starter home was too small, or too big heading into retirement.

However, with rates as low as they are right now, we're not seeing a huge inventory of move-up-down buyers. Families are combining. Families are smaller than decades ago so the starter home sometimes works just fine. And, the big house, heading toward retirement people? Well, I've seen their kids move back in.

An article in Housing Wire this morning had an interesting thought process that, it would seem, is totally right on:

Today, people move because of kids, school, jobs or divorce. Aside from periods of a job loss recession, inventory for both new and existing homes has been steady since 1996. Moving forward in this decade, we do have one possible positive trend that could facilitate more move-up buyers and an increase in inventory in the starter home market… Kids!  The U.S. is entering into a big demographic patch of people ages 30-39 —  and with this age group comes marriage and kids. 

If you're ready, so am I! 
My eldest son turns 35 this year, is planning a wedding,
 and looking to start with children a year or so later!
He definitely fits that demographic patch!

And, yep, I found one with a Smiley Face!!!


No comments: