Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Avulsion/Erosion Could Cause New California Coastline By The Year 2100?

Avulsion was a term I learned in Real Estate 101 back some 15 years ago. It really means a sudden fracture, as in the coast breaking off suddenly. Erosion sounds more appropriate for what's supposedly happening to many coastlines in the US.

According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 23 states may have a significant loss of homes that are currently coastal/beachfront properties, by the year 2100. That's only 84 years from now.

An old friend of mine posted a picture this week on Facebook from a Malibu beach. I remember her noting the loss of beach front in just about 6 months. Could be seasonal, not sure, but when I read the report that Zillow wrote using data from the NOAA, I thought I'd share it with you.

It says over 42k homes, that's just in California, could be underwater by then. A loss of almost $50 billion in homes.

Not that I'll still be alive in 84 years, but my grand-kids (if I ever get any!) certainly will.

Just some food for thought if you're thinking about investing, 
long term, in some beach property!


No comments: