Thursday, April 21, 2011

Banks Making Money

I've been reading, what else is new, the headlines again this week. Every day I've seen that one big bank after another has a profit in this first quarter. Of course, not in their mortgage department I would presume. But, some profit is better than none.

I'm guessing some if it is from the increase in credit rates to consumers. Not mortgage rates, they are still nice and low. But, most people have seen a huge jump in their credit card interest rates. They say that it has something to do with amounts being charged off. Written off losses. That kind of thing. So, is it a false gain?

I'm not sure really how I feel about this. Is it good that the banks are showing a profit? Is it bad that we're paying for their screw-ups? At this point, I'm happy that the financial industry isn't underwater completely like so many homeowners.But, I'm just uncomfortable that the big banks are showing profit and the little common people are seemingly barely scraping by.

But, I am glad, really glad, that the amount of 'good' loans are improving.

We always learn....sooner than later I wish. But, we always learn from our mistakes.

No comments: