Friday, December 11, 2020

Lack of Common Courtesy in Real Estate

 A story of the week, and a subject matter I've touched on previously....

Working with a couple of buyers. We've written offers on a few properties. It's a challenging market to say the least but they've stepped up to the plate. Written offers quickly, removed appraisal contingencies, patiently waited to hear back from the listing agents. Me? I'm not quite as patient.

But, that's not even the real story here. 

We wrote on a property that was under-priced and listed by an agent that is from out of the area. Needless to say, per agent, they received 15 offers. Ours was originally written 25k over list price, then we bumped up another 10k, removed our appraisal contingency, shortened up inspection period ridiculously, and tightened up loan contingency as well. 

These days it's a text, an email, not so often a phone call. But, I text agents to alert them that I'm sending them an email if it's offer related and ask for 'Confirmation of Receipt'...always. If I don't hear back, I make a phone call, leave a message.

This particular agent was hot in response when he first put it on the market in the Coming Soon category. He was pretty good when it went active, he was sorta okay when I sent the offer, and just okay when I sent back our final response to their seller multiple counter offer.

After emails and texts I would finally get a response that seller was making a decision today and ours was one of the top ones. Next day, same thing, seller was making a decision today, it "was hard as there were 5 really good offers"....my clients being one of them.

Next day....and, since then, it's been silence. No response to texts/emails, nada. Then, as we expected, the property showed as under contract in the MLS. 

Not a nice way to find out your buyers offer wasn't selected. And, while in Santa Clarita most agents are pretty good about treating people with respect....that other crowd? 


Well, they just don't seem to believe in that old adage. 
And, guess what? I sent him an email saying I saw it went under contract and I presume we weren't the buyers selected? Think I got a reply? Nope, nothing, nada, zero courtesy response .....at......all.

So disappointing. I've never done that. Never ignored another agent. Never not responded to them. And, I never change it in the MLS without having let the other agents know first. So they can tell their clients....not have their clients find out and be heartbroken by a computer screen.



No comments: