Friday, February 24, 2017

Dang, We Are Getting OLD!

Husband and I were chatting the other day. Something about life expectancy. Way back in the day it was about 60. Now it definitely seems to be at least 80. This is of course barring any major illness'. Husband read something about all of us making it beyond 100! Sheesh, I don't know if I want to live that long....I'm decrepit enough already at under 60! LOL, not really, I'm doing fairly well.

But, reading another housing article this morning does remind me that we need to be preparing for the aging population and we're no where near ready. In the next 20 years the 65+ population is expected to grow from 48 million to 79 million. That's close to doubling.

Working with some clients right now. Multi-generational family. Trying hard to find a single story or at least a good size full bed/bath situation downstairs that matches their search criteria. They are my age but we are looking out for their future.

Consider how long you will be in a home. Consider if you will have your adult children with you. Consider if you will have your parents with you. Consider if you will be able to walk up and down stairs. Consider if you want separation between the generations, if you're all living under one roof.

All these things are considerations as we age. For ourselves, our children, our parents.


No comments: