Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Re-Sale, Thinking About It When You're Buying.....Really, Do I Have To?

I don't truly know if other agents push this fact as hard as I do. It only matters to me that I remind my clients, at frequent intervals, during a home search, that Re-Sale is a very important consideration in the home buying process.

I help buyers buy and sellers sell, on a regular basis, every day, week, month. You name a day, I'm working for some seller or buyer. So, I hear what sellers say, I hear what buyers say. I know what buyers don't like, don't want. I know what the majority of them are saying about their dislikes in a property.

Oh, the power lines, oh the neighbors can see in my yard, oh the street noise, oh there isn't a Starbucks close enough. LOL, take my word, I've heard them all.

And, some are said more than others, absolutely. 

When, I'm out with buyers, and this is opposite of how we are trained, I take them in the nice way and out the not-so-nice way. And, vice-versa. They need to see everything. The next buyer may find it more convenient to go in the not-so-nice way and that may turn them off from buying your home when you go to sell it later.

I'm working with someone that just has to have that particular floor plan, devil be damned if they don't get it! But, should that perfect lay-out be right next to a gas station that has tagging all over it, I remind them about re-sale.  If the house has been on the market for 3 months, in a hot market, and there is a railroad track near by?  Hmmm, I nudge them, and say, do you want to have to tackle that problem when you are selling in a few years? If they don't care about guest parking in a condo/townhouse complex.....the next buyer sure might.

But, they say, " I don't mind the" .....fill in the blank here. Okay, you, one of of 10, may be A.O.K. with that negative aspect of the property. So, it will suit your needs. I'm really glad, happy that you are okay with the sound of a dog kennel right behind your back wall all day long. Maybe you are hard of hearing. Cool, glad we found your perfect home. Yippee!!

Are ya gonna die in that home? ;o) If you are certain this is the home you will stay in for the rest of your life, Yahoo! I'm tickled pink that we found you a great home, and surely at a great price too.

BUT, if you are like most people, and will be selling your home again in the next decade......pay attention to re-sale. Really, pay attention to it.

Because, although it may be absolutely perfect for you.....it needs to be pretty dang attractive to 9 out of 10 future buyers, not just one.

Re-Sale, Re-Sale, Re-Sale.....just ask my clients....they know I'm practically obnoxious about it.

No comments: