Friday, August 20, 2010

Yellow Page Realtor?

I met a great lady recently at one of my non-profits that I volunteer for once a week in Valencia. She had re-located to California a couple of years ago. The topic of how she found her realtor, of course, came up. I expected to hear a RELO company, a friend or co-worker referral. But, to my suprise....she found her agent in the Yellow Pages!

I don't even advertise in print anymore. I contact my data base every 8 -12 weeks to stay in touch. I send hand-written cards about once a year too. I have never advertised in the yellow pages at all. And, as a consumer, I pretty much just use it for finding a restaurant's phone number.

But, this lucky lady? She found a great realtor, one I've worked with on a fairly recent transaction. During our transaction, she did exactly what she said she was going to do, and, in a very timely manner. I lucked out with her, so did this non-native Californian.

So, it boils down to this.....that family was lucky! Yellow pages for Realtors would certainly not be my referral suggestion. Re-connecting with one, ok, I'll go for that. But, stabbing a pin blindly into a telephone directory ad, nope!

When you are looking for an agent, talk with friends, family, co-workers. When moving to a different area, talk to your current neighborhood realtor and ask for a referral or two. They should know someone that works in the neighborhood that you are moving too. Or, at least know someone that knows someone, you know?

A realtor isn't someone to select lightly. They need to have the experience to handle a transaction that is one of the most important you will ever make. Helping you to pick that home for you and your family. That's a huge task to ask of someone. And, although it sounds like I'm asking for a referral...not...just passing on an unusual situation that worked out well for these folks.

My business is 85-90% referral-based, for a reason. I treat my people the way my mums taught me. Treat them the way I would want to be treated, no less than that. And, dang it, if it takes a bazillion houses to find the closest to perfect home we can get.....a bazillion we will see!

No comments: