Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Prospecting, Why I have to use that 'Dirty Little Word'

When the market was really hot a few years ago, prospecting was hardly an issue. I never think I even mentioned the word, nor had to do a ton of it. Was too busy moving clients in and out of homes to have the time scheduled to even think about prospecting.

Prospecting, sounds pretty tacky doesn't it? If you're not in a sales related field, you would think so. But, as a Realtor, I am, believe it or not, a bit of a salesperson.

Encyclopedia Britannica defines prospecting as follows: Various techniques are used in the search for a mineral deposit, an activity called prospecting. Once a discovery has been made, the property containing a deposit, called the prospect, is explored to determine some of the more important characteristics of the deposit. Among these are its size, shape, orientation in space, and location with respect to the surface, as well as the mineral quality.

I'm not looking for minerals! My prospecting is done daily, definitely searching to a certain point though. I supposed I could consider a client a mineral...maybe. And, a house a deposit, I suppose. But, in my language, prospecting is the art of constant communication with just about every person I know!

Every weekday, Monday thru Friday, I sit down and make phone calls and send notes and even make comments on Facebook too. All for prospecting. I keep in constant communication with friends, family, past clients, people that know me from kids schools, doctors offices, old hockey co-parents, insurance agents. I was taught years ago that you have to keep reminding people that you are a Realtor.

Most of the time it actually is enjoyable. I love to catch up with people. Sometimes I just get their answering machine and have to leave a message, but I genuinely like it when I get to talk with them on the phone. A lot of the conversation is just catching up. They know I'm a Real Estate Agent, but they know I care about what's going on in their lives too. I keep them posted on what's going on in mine as well. I am more than just a Realtor you know.

Now, mind you, in the beginning, and still now every once in a while, I get that comment "We're not thinking about selling our home". I chuckle, and realize that they have to be reminded that, it's not necessarily about them selling their home, now or next week. It's about reminding them that I am still a Full-Time Agent, and that if they know anyone that needs any help, let them know about me. 

I'm sure there are just a few that get a little uncomfortable with my calling every two or three months, but they still have to be reminded enough to think about me when they think about a Realtor. Until you tell me to stop calling, I will keep calling.

But, I keep prospecting and when I am needed, they do call. Something comes up and they think of Lauren that keeps in constant contact. Looking for sellers for her buyers and buyers for her sellers.

And, funny, because the size, shape, orientation in space, and location in the home I help sell are all part of the prospecting process too!

No comments: