Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Keep, Donate, Sell ~ Preparing to Move

I read through everything I had in my 'Blog Topics' folder. A lot was about if we were going to have a crash, or if we're not going to have a crash. Maybe a recession, maybe not a recession. Since I don't have a crystal ball, I'm refraining from further opinions on these subjects!

But, one from Houzz was about organization, which papers to keep, which to toss.

So, that reminded me of a conversation I just had with first time buyers over the weekend. And, how frequently I have the same conversation with sellers when getting ready to list their home.

It's all about the dreaded move.....and, it's so much better to get everything sorted than taking it with you in hopes you'll sort it once you're in your new place.

Trust me, you won't. You'll find many other things to occupy your time at a new home than sorting through old, dusty, yucky papers & possessions.



So, all you people anticipating a move from one house to another.....Do This:

Create 3 'piles'. Call them whatever you want. But, when you're going through stuff to pack....find things you must have. What is that new lady saying? Things that bring you joy. If they don't, are they dumpster worthy or are they donate worthy? Don't donate what should be dumped, and vice versa.


When you start the sorting process, you may have piles that look like this picture. That's okay! Get through it, you'll be glad you did. It will help tremendously on moving day & then unpacking in your new home.

Heck, I can even get you boxes or tell you good places to donate! If I haven't worn something in a year? Donate. If it's collecting dust in a closet? Donate. If it's a cherished photo of my children? KEEP!!! And, if it's a broken frame I thought I'd repair.....dump!

No comments: