Friday, January 12, 2018

Empty Mall Converted To Housing?

Sometimes I miss a great article. This one was written a couple weeks ago and landed in my e-mail where it sat....waiting for me to find it.

And, so the thoughts of finding a use for empty malls was read about just this morning.

I walk with a dear friend almost every week. If the weather is beautiful, we walk at the park. If it's too hot, rainy, freezing, we walk at the mall. Great exercise and chat fests.

During school holidays or holiday shopping, the mall is pretty crowded. Other times.....I wonder how the tenants keep up their rent. I know it's not cheap.

It was noted, by the author, that a report was done which indicated that as many as 25% of America's malls would be 'shuttered' by 2022. Wow........

The article that I finally read mainly talked about re-purposing malls for housing. Had some great reasons for doing so too. Close to main thoroughfares for easy transportation. Maybe some of the restaurants and shopping would remain open and being so close to your 'house' you'd continue to shop there vs. online with Amazon.

I honestly prefer in person shopping but, boy oh boy, I do know some that have their Amazon Prime membership for a reason!

Now, of course, you can't just throw a kitchen in an old Gap store and call it a home. No taking up residence with your futon in a closed up Sephora, but you would have all the mirrors you need for the bathroom!

Plans would have to be made, zonings adjusted. But, damn, I think it's a super idea for these properties. Why waste good structures? And, honestly, the idea of walking out your front door and being able to go to Victorias Secret (if it's still open)....what guy wouldn't want that in his next pad?




And, with a little watering,
 maybe you'd even have some nice landscaping to see again too!

What do you think about this?

No comments: