Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Considering a FSBO?

Story of my week. Oh, yes, I'm sick like the rest of Southern California. But, Real Estate doesn't stop for germs.

Maybe a stall, but not due to germs!

Talked for 45 minutes with a prospective Seller a couple weeks ago on the phone.

Met with same Seller, for 2 hours, a week later. Agreed to list with me, and I started to arrange the necessary marketing.

Set up the paperwork for review & signing....followed up....sicker than a dog....with Seller day before photo shoot to make sure there were no questions and were they ready to sign on the dotted line.

Um, well, someone that knows someone that knows another someone may be interested in my home. I asked who is going to protect/represent you? A pause....I asked if they were considering doing it as a FSBO...For Sale By Owner. Yes, why yes they were. I knew that if I sat there on the phone for another 15 minutes explaining the perils of a FSBO, it would likely go to deaf ears. And, it would also likely sound like all I wanted to do was save my earnings. Tough to teach the downfalls to a prospective Seller if they don't have home selling experience for 20 + years. I don't care how smart they are! And, this one, this is one smart cookie!

At any rate, they met with prospective buyer who's father was their lender. First red flag in my book. Buyer was supposed to be pre-approved for significantly more but still hadn't managed to snare a property. 2nd red flag. 3 hours later I called Seller as I didn't want to leave my photographer hanging. Left message on home and cell. Finally another hour or so went by....and I shot a text message to which I got a response that they were discussing price still.

I gave her a time deadline so I could alert my photographer as he was doing me a New Years Eve photo shoot favor.

She then called me just before deadline and said she told the buyer to forget it. She made me even happier when she told me she used the F word when she said that! Love!

At that point, I said who was the lender? Didn't know. What kind of loan was buyer doing? Not sure. What was their down payment? Not a clue. Any contract written? Nope, just talking back and forth. And, when the buyer agreed on a price then asked for a 10k credit towards closing costs? That's when she dropped the F bomb.

The price paid for a Realtor to represent you the Seller is priceless. I can't even begin to list all the other things that I do to protect my clients and help get from listing to close as seamlessly as possible.

Just a little chat about FSBO's here....on a personal level. 


No comments: