Friday, October 13, 2017

Choosing Your Home Inspector

I've been doing this a long time. I've seen a lot of home inspection reports. I've seen inspectors miss something. Note something incorrectly. I've seen short reports, long reports, quick inspections, lengthy inspections.

My favorite guy? Hasn't missed anything, that I've heard back on. Takes forever to finish his inspection. Sends over very detailed reports. Is always available to talk with my clients after the report has been received too.

How do you choose one? Well, to protect my ass, I'm supposed to give my client a few names and let them figure out which one to hire.....supposed to.

I've got the one I've used for 10 years now, and I've got another that I've seen his report a few times and he seems right on. So, do I say 'Here Mr./Mrs. Buyer, you choose one.'? Or do I, like we are getting paid for, tell them the pros and cons of each one. The experience I've had with them. Maybe send them a sample report?

It's my job, with any client, to make sure they are protected
 during the purchase and/or sale of their home. 

I want the inspector to find something, I want them to tell us if he thinks we need to have a roof inspection. I want him to say that black fuzzy stuff is a little disconcerting. I want one that is going to go back to their office and do any necessary research instead of sending the report out within 10 minutes of finishing their inspection. But, I also want him to remind buyers that we will find things wrong and some are easy fixes too!

And, quite honestly, if I'm working with a buyer that thinks I'm pushing my favorite home inspector on him so he doesn't find something? Then, that is a challenging buyer that doesn't trust me. And, if they don't trust me....maybe we shouldn't be working together on such an important purchase.

So, when choosing your home inspector for a home purchase......hopefully you'll trust the trusted Realtor you hired to find a trustworthy home inspector for you!




No comments: