Friday, June 13, 2014

What Else Happens As The Market Settles?

Lots of articles that I read in the last few days are talking about the market settling down. Home prices rising just a tad, more inventory. You know, that kind of stuff.

While we as Realtors in Southern California have to be aware of how to get buyers into homes and sellers out of them, we also have to be aware of what happens to, not only the inventory of homes, but the inventory of Realtors.

What's that you ask? The increase of people that think what we do can be done by anyone. That what we do looks easy enough to sell a house or two.

Explanation? The last dozen years that I've been helping people in and out of homes has been a series of many wild crazy markets. Every market I could have encountered has happened in the years since I first got my license in 2002.

And, due to that, I've seen Realtors come and go. Newbies that thought it would be easier, older agents that just decided they had enough. So here we are again, the really freaking hard market is settling down. The saying 'When the Going gets Tough, the Tough get Going"? Well, trust me I got going like hell!


Since we are moving into one of the markets I've already traversed, I've had a half dozen people ask me about getting their license.....in the last two weeks....yep, just in the last two weeks.

Several of them I think have the smarts to be a great agent. Several of them have a strong data base to start too. All of them I would be willing to help...I love helping newbies!

Will they all succeed? Will they make a career out of helping buyers and sellers? Or, like many I've watched in the last decade, will they peter out and go back to a regular job?

I don't know exactly, but likely 1 or 2 out of the 1/2 dozen will continue and make Real Estate their life long full time career. The remainder.....just may not have the strength required to keep going....when the going gets tough....and it will again....trust me on that one!


No comments: