Sunday, December 5, 2010

As-Is Sale, Really?!?!?

When buying or selling homes, particularly in the current market, frequently the property is advertised 'AS-IS'. What the heck does that really mean?

Well, it honestly could mean a few different things, as noted in the article I have linked here:



Fortunately for my clients I cover both sides of the purchase. Whether it is my seller that is low on funds and doesn't want to do repairs or it is my buyer that is looking at a home with that noted in the Agent Confidential Remarks.

My seller? They still have to disclose everything they know about the property. I still have to do an Agent Visual Inspection Disclosure (AVID) as well.

My buyer? You bet they are going to be told to have a professional inspection completed on the property. And, I do my AVID for them also.

And, the funny thing is, frequently the inspection doesn't show anything wrong so we are good to move forward without worrying about the AS-IS statement. But, also kinda funny, when something is noted as having a problem on the inspection report, I've still asked for it to be repaired, whether standard sale, SS or REO....and.....sometimes.....it does get repaired!!!

Remember, everything is Real Estate truly is negotiable ! So, don't be afraid of that statement. If it's the home of your dreams, write an offer, get accepted, and see what comes of the seller disclosures and the professional inspection. Those will help you make the decision. And, sometimes, there really isn't much wrong with the house and the seller just thinks they are covering their tush by making the agent put AS-IS in the remarks.

No comments: