Sunday, July 17, 2011

Does Your Agent Know The Neighborhood?

I write about current happenings in the news, updated laws, sales stats. That kind of info. To keep my friends, family, clients, etc. informed.

The other day I heard a story about a home buyer that didn't find out until signing loan docs in escrow that there was a Mello-Roos on the home he was purchasing. I was shocked and asked who his agent was? They should have known was my comment. I think they should have known, I did as soon as he told me what track they were buying in.

I know the agent, they are a 'once in a while' agent. Which won't know about the areas that have and don't have and may have.....an extra property tax.  And, that can be a killer.

I really thought the buyer just hadn't read his paperwork, his disclosures. Then I was told it was an REO, well they are exempt from certain disclosures. But, even if an NHD report wasn't ordered....I'd have warned my client before we decided to look at the property.

One of my peeps is peeking at properties on a free web-site that I have them set up on. Listingbook. She sends me notes, I send her notes. One she asks if we can see......I say "You know there is a Mello-Roos there of about 4000/year?" She says, uh oh, let's skip that one. Another client, really wants that neighborhood, mello-roos or not, so we adjust the price point we can go to accordingly.

You may want to do business with a friend, or a relative of a friend. Keep in mind, the home buying process is one of the biggest purchases of your life time. Do you want a Realtor that knows what they are doing? Or do you want to do a favor for a friend.

Just sayin'.....

No comments: