Thursday, November 18, 2010

Toxic Clients? I Must Be Lucky...

In my almost decade of working with buyers and sellers, true, I've run across some more difficult than others. Some may need a little stern talking too. Another needs a little extra hand-holding. One may have needed more explanation than the last. And, one maybe was a bit of a yeller. Another even, a bit of a cryer.

But, a toxic client? Can't say that I've had one that I felt was truly toxic. Maybe I'm too nice, too accepting. I don't know. I've had 3 in my career that I almost wished I'd never met....almost. I suppose they were the closest thing to being called toxic. But, of course, they were an educational experience. Taught me to look for the signs earlier. Well, 2 out of 3 did. One, blew me away completely at the end !!

And, definitely they were in my earlier years. When I didn't have so much experience, not enough composure maybe.

One was a seller. I let them list too high....Ugh! Then, worked my tush off with what I had to get it sold. Brought every piece of info to the table to help them understand, even as a newbie, what I knew we needed to do to sell their house. It's the only listing I have ever had expire. They re-listed with another agent, dropped the price, did what I had told them to do....and, gee, of course it sold!

Another seller, tough listing. Seller smoked like a chimney and the yet the home was beautiful. As always, worked my rear off to get it sold. Made nice with the neighbors to position the for sale sign. Then, after the sellers praised me all the way through....Mrs. Seller went a little crazy at the end, something about her relationship with the neighbors, and smoke came out of her ears.
But, we did close escrow....and I don't live with her....poor guy, he does.

The last one was a buyer. I suspected right from the start that it was going to be challenging working with a spoiled, foot-stomping, princess. But, I bit my tongue and worked to find them the perfect home. Kept my professionalism top notch. At the end, she didn't get what she wanted and the biggest hissy fit was thrown. I didn't acquiesce to her behavior, closed the escrow and have happily never heard from them again.


Read the article, are you?

No comments: