Tuesday, July 27, 2021

How To Meet With The Appraiser

Don't be afraid. Don't try to hide anything. Don't wink at them either!

Sellers generally aren't the ones that meet the appraiser, it's 99% of the time the listing agents responsibility to meet them. Well, some agents (lazy in my eye) have allowed the appraiser to come in without the agent being there. Once, I let an appraiser use a combo box because we were on a deadline and I couldn't meet him when he could meet me. I did leave him a detailed list of upgrades my Sellers had completed though. The appraisal came in AOK.

So, this morning I read an article from the National Association of Realtors on what you should give the appraiser when you meet with them to assist in their report completion. My comments are in RED.

  1. * MLS printout for the subject home The appraiser already has this.
  2. * Copy of the contract I always ask if they need this. Honestly great way to get their email address.
  3. * Spreadsheet of other offers received Oh lordy, no. They have enough paperwork to look through.
  4. * Property data sheet or brochure used during the marketing period Nope, nope, nope. I'm selling the house, not me.
  5. * List of improvements that includes year completed and cost YES, Big YES!
  6. * Description of special features that make the subject property stand out from other homes in the area YES, in writing for sure!
  7. * MLS printouts of sales you want the appraiser to consider They know which ones to use. I actually walk into appraisal appointments saying I know you can see all comparable sales like I can.
  8. * MLS printouts of pending sales with actual contract prices If it's a challenging one, that I have confirmed the contract price with that listing agent, then yes.
  9. * MLS printouts of current listings They have access to all of this. Can you imagine what their car would look like if I gave them this too?
  10. * Realtors Property Resource® (RPR) report using the Refine Value tool to offer your own opinion of value No appraiser wants to hear MY opinion of value. They can get offended pretty quickly. 
  11. * Survey of the property, if available If it's that kind of property,100% yes.
  12. * Floor plan and measurement of the home, if available If it's not a track house, yes. BUT, they have to do their own measurements anyways.
There has to be a certain amount of Trust & Respect with an appraiser. Appreciate that they are much more well trained than a Realtor is to determine value. Know that their job, like mine, is somewhat of a repetitious beast. They get better with age. They learn with experience. 

And, I've learned in almost 2 decades, they really don't want some dang Realtor telling them what they need to do.

One thing the list didn't mention? ALWAYS have the HOA information handy. They can find that too, but they love to jot it on their notes and not have to look for it. Trust me on this!


The purpose of this photo? 
Well, when the appraiser that scheduled a week ago for today calls in sick?
Ya don't bother to do your hair and you get to wear a sundress with no concerns at all that you don't look uber professional!


No comments: